Burlington & Mount Holly Railroad and Transportation Company
From SJRail.com Wiki
The Burlington & Mount Holly Railroad and Transportation Company
By Michael W Andrescavage
Photo from the collection of George Hahn
The Burlington & Mount Holly Railroad and Transportation Company, was incorporated in 1836. The railroad ran from Burlington NJ to Mount Holly NJ. 7.2 track miles.
July 4, 1863 Burlington & Mount Holly Railroad & Transportation Company renamed Burlington County Railroad Company.
In 1895, the Pennsylvania Railroad used the Burlington & Mount Holly tracks to experiment with 500 volt DC trolley wire; trolley pole electric operation, with two motor passenger cars built by Jackson and Sharp Company at Wilmington, Del. and was the first electrified PRR branch in New Jersey.
This service was discontinued on Oct. 29, 1901, after the electrical powerhouse in Mount Holly burned.
On April. 1902 PRR orders demolition of Mount Holly power house and ends experiment of electric trolley operation between Burlington and Mount Holly.
The Burlington & Mount Holly line was abandoned by the PRR in 1927.
Burlington County RT 541 is on and or follows the Burlington & Mount Holly Railroad and Transportation Co. Right Of Way .
When the steam railroads electrified author William D. Middleton date 1974 publisher Kalmbach Books ISBN 0-89024-028-0