By Don Lee
It was indicated in timetables as CAMDEN and was located on the Delaware River at the foot of Federal St. Opened on June 23rd, 1901 the new facility was a consolidation of PRR ferry and rail facilities within the city. The station contained seven concrete passenger platforms with fourteen tracks to receive and depart trains and five slips for ferry docking. All tracks and platforms were covered by a train shed that spanned the entire facility. Due to deterioration the train shed was removed in December, 1929 and replaced by umbrella sheds on each platform. After the creation of the P-RSL on June 25th, 1933 the terminal became a “joint facility” meaning the owner, PRR, prorated the cost of operation with the P-RSL, the prorating determined by the percentage of use by each road.
The opening of the Delaware River Bridge, now Ben Franklin, on July 1, 1926 and an improved highway system diverted travelers away from both the ferries and trains. As patronage dwindled service to the station was reduced until on March 31st, 1952 the New Jersey Department of Public Utilities granted a request to end ferry service. Rail service continued to the station until January 4, 1953 when another PUC directive permitted the agency passenger station to be closed and trains to be curtailed at an enlarged and rebuilt Broadway station 0.6 miles to the east. To serve rail patrons in the Front St. area four trains, 3 inbound and 1 outbound were ordered to continue operate the remnant of the northern most platform of the old terminal. These trains were scheduled such that any commuter desiring to travel to the Front St. area of Camden could do so by changing trains at Broadway. This service ended on January 14, 1966 when the PRR and PRSL was permitted to abandon the railroad and end service to make way for the PATCO Hi-Speedline.
By Michael W Andrescavage Sr
After the agency passenger station closed it served as a local Farmer's Market until it was destroyed by a general alarm fire on Oct 6, 1954.