WJ&S Timeline 1836 - 1932

From SJRail.com Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Welcome to the SJRail.com Wiki! (WJ&S Timeline 1836 - 1933 Page)

By Michael Andrescavage

Best seen with Firefox
West Jersey and Seashore Railroad (WJ&S)
And it's Predecessors

Timeline

1836 - 1933

WJ&S System Map
Enlarge
WJ&S System Map

















Contents

Timeline 1836 — 1933

PRR Chronology Research by Christopher T. Baer and Philadelphia Chapter Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society

Used with Christopher T. Baer's permission.


1836- 1859

  • Mar. 1, 1836 Camden & Woodbury Railroad & Transportation Company incorporated in N.J.
  • Jan. 10, 1838 Camden & Woodbury Railroad & Transportation Company opens between Camden and Woodbury with locomotive Fire Fly and car Woodbury.
  • Jan. 20, 1838 Camden & Woodbury Railroad holds official opening excursion between Camden and Woodbury, N.J.
  • Jan. 29 1838 Camden & Woodbury Railroad opens for revenue between Camden and Woodbury, N.J. with three round trips; uses Camden terminal of Camden & Amboy and Walnut Street ferry.
  • Feb. 22, 1838 Supplement to charter of Camden & Woodbury Railroad & Transportation Company authorizes branches to Kaighns Point, Gloucester Point and Haddonfield.
  • Mar. 1, 1839 Charter supplement to Camden & Woodbury Railroad & Transportation Company authorizes extension to Delaware Bay between Stow Creek and Cape May, with a branch to Cape Island.
  • Aug. 15, 1840 Camden & Woodbury Railroad & Transportation Company sold at foreclosure to Amos Campbell subject to other judgements to William D. Lewis, Colkett & Sterns, et al.; Coffin Colkett buys four passenger and one freight car; William C. Hancock, operating the road under lease from Henry R. Campbell, is dispossessed; operating continues under John D. Campbell, brother of Henry R. Campbell.
  • Mar. 19, 1852 Camden & Atlantic Railroad incorporated in N.J. to build from Camden to Absecon Island, then practically uninhabited; principal backers are Samuel Richards, proprietor of the Atsion Tract, Andrew K. Hay of the Winslow Tract, Stephen Colwell and W. Dwight Bell of the Weymouth Tract, and Jesse Richards of the Batsto Tract, all of who desire outlets for their glass works and iron furnaces; idea of developing a seaside resort is thrown in to attract outside investors.
  • Apr. 10, 1852 First meeting to agitate for West Jersey Railroad held at Salem.
  • June 2, 1852 Promoters of West Jersey Railroad select Gen. William Cook to make preliminary survey.
  • June 4, 1852 Camden & Atlantic Railroad organized at Arch Street House, Philadelphia.
  • June 1852 Chief Engineer Osborne and directors of Camden & Atlantic Railroad first visit proposed terminus on nearly deserted Absecon Island.
  • July 29, 1852 Charles Kaighn proposes that Camden & Atlantic Railroad make its Camden terminal at Kaighns Point.
  • Sep. 14, 1852 Camden & Atlantic Railroad purchases Camden terminal site on Coopers Point from J.W. Cooper.
  • Sep. 28, 1852 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board appoints Enoch Doughty and Jonathan Pitney to examine title to beach property on Absecon Island.
  • Nov. 1, 1852 William Cook presents report on survey for the West Jersey Railroad from Camden to Cape May; recommends route via Glassboro and Millville over route via Salem.
  • Nov. 19, 1852 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board reports acquisition of ferry between Coopers Point and Vine Street, Philadelphia, from William W. Cooper for $40,000; authorizes Enoch Doughty and Jonathan Pintney to purchase beach and meadow property on Absecon Island.
  • 1852 Richard B. Osborne plats seaside resort on Absecon Island which he names Atlantic City; main avenues named for oceans and cross streets for states; the game board for Monopoly is later derived from this plan.
  • Feb. 4, 1853 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes completing purchase of Vine Street ferry from W.W. Cooper for cash and stock. (MB)
  • Feb. 5, 1853 West Jersey Railroad Company incorporated to build from Camden to Cape May.
  • Feb. 25, 1853 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes committee to go to Trenton to lobby for charter for Camden & Atlantic Land Company to develop Absecon Island.
  • Mar. 19, 1853 Camden & Atlantic Railroad sells lot on Absecon Beach to William Neligh at $100 per acre (ten times what railroad paid), he to construct United States Hotel, one wing of which is to be done by July 15.
  • May 3, 1853 West Jersey Railroad organized at Camden; R.F. Stockton and Stevens brothers control company through stock ownership; T. Jones Yorke (1801-1882) of Salem elected Secretary-Treasurer.
  • May 9, 1853 West Jersey Railroad organized at Salem; Robert F. Stockton elected Pres. and William Cook named Chief Engineer.
  • June 20, 1853 West Jersey Railroad breaks ground at 7th Street in Camden.
  • Sep. 7, 1853 Camden & Atlantic Railroad opens between Camden (Coopers Point) and Haddonfield, N.J.
  • Nov. 21, 1853 Camden & Atlantic Railroad opens between Haddonfield and Berlin, N.J.
  • Jan. 1854 Camden & Atlantic Railroad opens between Haddonfield and Winslow.
  • Feb. 2, 1854 New Jersey resolution authorizes Joint Companies to subscribe up to $800,000 to West Jersey Railroad and endorse its bonds.
  • Apr. 16, 1854 Nor'easter washes out Camden & Atlantic grading across Absecon Meadows.
  • July 1, 1854 Camden & Atlantic Railroad holds opening excursion to Atlantic City with locomotive Atsion and 9 cars; also marks opening of United States Hotel on Atlantic Avenue between Maryland and Delaware Avenues, first hotel in Atlantic City.
  • July 2, 1854 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins revenue service between Camden (Coopers Point) and Atlantic City (Inlet?), opening line east of Winslow.
  • Mar. 14, 1856 Salem Railroad incorporated in N.J. to build from point on West Jersey Railroad to Salem.
  • Apr. 14, 1857 West Jersey Railroad opens between Camden (7th Street Jct.) and Woodbury using old Camden & Woodbury right-of-way; controlled by Joint Companies; revenue service begins April 15.
  • June 13, 1859 Millville & Glassboro Railroad organized; controlled by Richard D. Wood, proprietor of Millville cotton factories; Thomas H. Whiting, Pres.; George B. Roberts, Chief Engineer.
  • Mar. 9, 1859 Millville & Glassboro Railroad incorporated in N.J.

1860- 1869

  • Mar. 15, 1860 N.J. act authorizes Millville & Glassboro Railroad to extend to Cape May.
  • Sep. 10, 1860 Joint Companies' Executive Committee approves West Jersey Railroad's subscription of $15,000 to Salem Railroad.
  • Sep. 19, 1860 Joint Companies' Board orders West Jersey Railroad to assist Millville & Glassboro Railroad's extension to Cape May
  • Sep. 24, 1860 Joint Companies' Executive Committee authorizes West Jersey Railroad to take $75,000 of Millville & Glassboro Railroad bonds.
  • Sep. 24, 1860 Millville & Glassboro Railroad opens for revenue service between Glassbor and Millville with two round trips; offers stage connection to West Jersey Railroad at Woodbury.
  • Nov. 11, 1860 Gen. William Cook begins survey for Salem Railroad.
  • Mar. 8, 1861 Supplement to Camden & Atlantic Railroad charter authorizes construction down the length of Absecon Island.
  • Apr. 6, 1861 West Jersey Railroad opens for revenue service between Woodbury and Glassboro, connecting with Millville & Glassboro Railroad.
  • July 24, 1861 West Jersey Railroad holds opening excursion to Bridgeton, opening line from Glassboro; revenue service begins July 25.
  • Aug. 31, 1861 Work begins on Salem Railroad.
  • Apr. 19, 1862 Millville & Glassboro Railroad Board approves contract with C.B. Dungan to build Cape May extension and a $200,000 bond issue; extension later finished by Cape May & Millville Railroad.
  • June 1862 Camden City Council passes ordinance for Camden & Atlantic Railroad to extend a branch to the Kaighns Point ferry.
  • Sep. 1, 1862 Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad and Camden & Atlantic Railroad begin operating a line between New York (by steamer to Port Monmouth, N.J.) and Camden in defiance of Camden & Amboy Monopoly and with tacit support of PRR; link between Atsion and Atco is technically the Batsto Branch of the Camden & Atlantic Railroad, but is built and operated by R&DB.
  • 1862 Camden & Atlantic Railroad proposes to build branch to Mays Landing under own charter; five or six miles graded and them abandoned.
  • Jan. 11, 1863 Salem Railroad opens between Yorketown (Elmer) and Pittstown, N.J.
  • Jan. 14, 1863 Salem Railroad opens between Elmer and Yorketown, N.J.; controlled by West Jersey Railroad.
  • Mar. 9, 1863 Cape May & Millville Railroad incorporated in N.J.; acquires rights of Millville & Glassboro Railroad between Millville and Cape May.
  • May 20, 1863 Cape May & Millville Railroad opens between Millville and Port Elizabeth (Manumuskin).
  • June 22, 1863 Cape May & Millville Railroad opens between Manumuskin and Dennisville and between Cape May and Cape May Court House, with nine-mile stage portage.
  • July 1, 1863 Salem Railroad opens between Pittstown and Salem (Claysville), N.J., completing line.
  • Aug. 22, 1863 Cape May & Millville Railroad closes gap between Dennisville and Cape May Court House; through service inaugurated over West Jersey Railroad line between Camden and Cape May, N.J.
  • Oct. 22, 1863 Joseph W. Cooper elected Pres. of Camden & Atlantic Railroad, replacing John Brodhead.
  • Dec. 18, 1863 Robert Frazer elected Pres. of Camden & Atlantic Railroad, replacing Joseph W. Cooper.
  • Apr. 14, 1864 West Jersey Express Company incorporated to operate over West Jersey Railroad.
  • June 19, 1864 American Telegraph Company completes line between Camden and Cape May, N.J.
  • July 24, 1865 West Jersey Railroad ferry connection moved from Walnut Street to Market Street, Philadelphia.
  • Feb. 23, 1866 Swedesboro Railroad incorporated in N.J. to build from Woodbury to Swedesboro. (Val)
  • Mar. 27, 1866 Bridgeton & Port Norris Railroad incorporated in N.J. (PL)
  • June 12, 1866 Western Union Telegraph Company acquires property of American Telegraph Company, including lines between New York and Philadelphia.
  • July 23, 1866 Kensington & New Jersey Ferry Company begins operating between Point Street, Coopers Point, Camden, and Shackamaxon Street, Philadelphia.
  • Oct. 7, 1866 Commodore Robert F. Stockton (1795-1866), president of Delaware & Raritan Canal and West Jersey Railroad, dies. (DAB)
  • Nov. 24, 1866 T. Jones Yorke elected Pres. of West Jersey Railroad, replacing Robert F. Stockton, deceased; Gen. William J. Sewell (1835-1901), a veteran of Chancellorsville, named Superintendent; Sewell eventually becomes chief PRR political representative, U.S. Senator (1881-1887, 1895-1901) and Republican Party boss of southern New Jersey.
  • May 18, 1867 Swedesboro Railroad organized at Swedesboro; Joshua S. Thomson, Pres. (Val, C&C)
  • Oct. 12, 1867 Millville & Glassboro Railroad and Cape May & Millville Railroad merged into West Jersey Railroad. (C&C)
  • Nov. 1867 Construction begins on Swedesboro Railroad in N.J. (Val)
  • 1867 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins replacing 62# U-rail with 57# T-rail. (AR)
  • Apr. 1, 1868 Millville & Glassboro Railroad conveys all property to West Jersey Railroad under agreement of Oct. 12, 1867; operation by George W. Thomas & Co. ends. (Val)
  • May 19, 1868 West Jersey Railroad leases Salem Railroad (Elmer-Salem) retroactive to Jan. 1, 1868. (Val)
  • Spring 1868 West Jersey Railroad opens Sea Breeze Excursion House on beachfront at Cape May; extends spur from old station for excursion trains.
  • June 1, 1868 West Jersey Railroad begins operating Cape May & Millville Railroad under lease of May 16, 1868. (Val)
  • June 1868 West Jersey Railroad leases Salem Railroad. (date from C&C)
  • July 1868 West Jersey Railroad and Camden & Burlington County Railroad begin issuing commutation tickets. (USRR&MR)
  • Feb. 10, 1869 Sea View Hotel Company incorporated to build hotel and excursion house at Atlantic City; owned by Camden & Atlantic Railroad. (Manual)
  • May 1869 Tracks of Camden & Amboy Railroad and West Jersey Railroad being connected at Camden. (SG)
  • June 27, 1869 Tracklaying begins on Swedesboro Railroad in N.J. (WdbryCnstn)
  • Aug. 17, 1869 West Jersey Railroad leases Swedesboro Railroad. (Val)
  • Sep. 11, 1860 Last spike driven on Swedesboro Railroad between Woodbury and Swedesboro, N.J. (WdbryCnstn)
  • Sep. 14, 1869 S.W. & W.A. Torrey and Camden & Atlantic Railroad convey Batsto Branch (Atsion-Atco), which Camden & Atlantic Railroad had refused to accept, to Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad; eventually passes to CNJ system. (Val, CNJVal)
  • Sep. 16, 1869 Twelve-car excursion train from Camden opens Swedesboro Railroad between Woodbury and Swedesboro, N.J. (WdbryCnstn)
  • Oct 2, 1869 Swedesboro Railroad opens for revenue service between Woodbury and Swedesboro, N.J.; operated by West Jersey Railroad under lease of Aug. 17, 1869. (WdbryCnstn, Val)

1870- 1879

  • Feb. 16, 1870 New Jersey act confirms sale of Camden & Atlantic Railroad's Batsto Branch to Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad. (Val)
  • Mar. 21, 1871 Woodstown & Swedesboro Railroad incorporated in N.J. to build from Swedesboro to a connection with the Salem Railroad. (Val)
  • Mar. 22, 1871 Mays Landing & Egg Harbor City Railroad incorporated in N.J. (NJCorp)
  • Dec. 1, 1871 PRR leases properties of "United Canal & Railroad Companies of New Jersey" and their controlled lines, retroactive to July 1, giving PRR direct access to New York; operations placed under General Superintendent of PRR (A.J. Cassatt); lease was dated June 13 but delayed by lawsuit; United Companies also assign leases of their leased line, but not West Jersey Railroad, to PRR effective June 30, 1871. (Digest, C&C)
  • Jan. 24, 1872 Camden & Atlantic Railroad acquires stock control of Coopers Point & Philadelphia Ferry Company operating ferries Atlantic and Arasapha between Coopers Point and Vine Street; operates without agreement. (AR, Val, C&C)
  • June 1, 1872 Mays Landing & Egg Harbor City Railroad opens between Egg Harbor City and Mays Landing, N.J.; operated by Camden & Atlantic Railroad; revenue service begins June 3. (ARJ, AR)Feb. 15, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes establishment of a station at the Camden & Amboy crossing in Camden; reports that work of extending line down the beach at Atlantic City has been stopped by Mayor. (MB)
  • June 25, 1872 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins operating first two Woodruff parlor cars during summer between Camden and Atlantic City; cars are assigned by Woodruff; number increased to six in 1873. ( ,tt)
  • Oct. 21, 1872 Williamstown Railroad opens for regular service between Atco and Williamstown; connects at Atco with Camden & Atlantic and New Jersey Southern Railroads. (WdbryCnstn)
  • Feb. 20, 1873 Delaware Shore Railroad incorporated in N.J. to build from Woodbury south along shore of Delaware River. (Val)
  • May 5, 1873 West Jersey Railroad begins changing gauge from 4'-10" to 4'-9" to permit running through cars from PRR to Cape May. (ARJ)
  • July 2, 1873 Delaware Shore Railroad organized at Bridgeport. (Val)
  • July 14, 1873 Camden & Atlantic Railroad leases Mays Landing & Egg Harbor City Railroad. (NJCorp)
  • July 19, 1873 Through summer service inaugurated between Jersey City and Cape May, running in 6:10. (NYTrib, date of 1st tt)
  • Oct. 23, 1873 Andrew K. Hay elected Pres. of Camden & Atlantic Railroad, replacing Robert Frazer.
  • 1873 West Jersey Railroad opens new office building at Federal Street, Camden. (AR)
  • 1873 Mays Landing & Egg Harbor City Railroad extended to river at Mays Landing. (AR)
  • May 18, 1874 West Jersey Railroad establishes fast express between Camden and Cape May. (USRR&MR)
  • June 1874 Whitehorse station renamed Kirkwood on Camden & Atlantic.
  • Aug. 1874 Camden & Atlantic Railroad has arranged to transfer passengers with Camden & Amboy line at crossing in Camden. (RRG)
  • Nov. 1874 Delaware Shore Railroad begins construction. (Val)
  • 1874 Camden & Atlantic Railroad opens new ferry house at Coopers Point, Camden. And completes replacement of old 62-pound Urail with 57-pound T-rail between Camden and Hammonton and between DaCosta and West Elwood. (AR)
  • Feb. 9, 1875 George B. Roberts replaces T. Jones Yorke as Pres. of West Jersey Railroad; Board writes down stock of Cape Island Turnpike Company from $11,075 to $3,000. (MB)
  • Feb. 18, 1875 West Jersey Railroad reorganized as a de facto Grand Division of PRR; George B. Roberts, pres. and Frank Thomson general manager; actual org. manual issued later in year.
  • Mar. 1, 1875 West Jersey Railroad becomes de facto division of PRR, with PRR officers above Superintendent William J. Sewell; A.J. Cassatt to VP, Frank Thomson to General Manager, etc. (MB) : Board reports have purchased all stock of West Jersey Express Company; decline to cooperate with project for a railroad from the WJRR near Mantua via Mullica Hill to Woodstown. (MB)
  • Mar. 18, 1875 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board orders six streetcars for use in Atlantic City during summer season. (MB)
  • Mar. 22, 1875 John C. DaCosta (1801?-1875), former Pres. of Camden & Atlantic Railroad, dies at Camden. (RRG)
  • Mar. 29, 1875 West Jersey Railroad General Manager Frank Thomson announces will close company shops at Camden and do work at PRR shops in West Philadelphia; order ASea Breeze Excursion House@ repaired for season. (MB)
  • Apr. 15, 1875 Camden & Atlantic Board authorizes signing contract for halfinterest in connecting track to Camden & Amboy in Camden; investigation of Allison parlor cars as substitute for Woodruff=s; survey down beach to southern part of Absecon Island. (MB)
  • Apr. 20, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Board approves contract with Woodruff Sleeping & Parlor Coach Company for parlor car service in 1875 season; renews contract with West Jersey Marl & Transportation Company; authorizes making arrangements with a steamboat line to operate to wharf at end of Cape Island Turnpike and to have horse car line built alongside turnpike; recommend subscription to a railroad to Woodstown if residents provide right of way. (MB)
  • May 30, 1875 West Jersey Railroad declines to operate Sunday milk train from Salem to Camden. (MB)
  • Spring 1875 Camden & Atlantic Railroad organizes Atlantic City Horse Car Dept. to operate street cars on Atlantic Avenue between Inlet and Georgia Avenue; owns 4 cars and 16 mules; builds 0.55 mile extension of horse car line to Sea View Excursion House; horse cars create severe interference with steam trains operating on Atlantic Avenue. (AR - what is source of Ga. Ave.? - track did not run south of Arkansas Ave.?)
  • June 1, 1875 F.A. Lister appointed Superintendent of Camden & Atlantic Railroad. (RRG)
  • June 25, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Secretary-Treasurer George J. Robbins dies at Bordentown. (RRG)
  • July 1875 Cape May & Sea Grove Railroad opens at Cape May with branch to steamboat landing on Delaware Bay; connected with West Jersey Railroad. (RRG - not shown in NJCorp or NJRRs)
  • July 30, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Board declines to guarantee stock or bonds of Delaware Shore Railroad; appoints William Taylor as Secretary-Treasurer, replacing George J. Robbins, deceased. (MB)
  • Aug. 27, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Board declines to sell Cape May property; lessee of ASea Breeze Excursion House@ at Cape May asks to be relieved of paying rent as the season=s excursion business has been very poor. (MB)
  • Sep. 24, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Board authorizes having Beach Drive at Cape May extended to ASea Grove@ at Cape May Point over winter. (MB)
  • Sep. 25, 1875 Body of Albert W. Markley, receiver of Bridgeton & Port Norris Railroad and director of West Jersey Railroad, is found floating in the Delaware River; Markley was last seen leaving his home in Camden for Philadelphia the day before; is supposed to have committed suicide because of disease. (RRG)
  • Sep. 27, 1875 Camden & Atlantic Board authorizes filing survey for line down Absecon Island from Excursion House to Egg Harbor Inlet. (MB)
  • Oct. 7, 1875 Camden & Atlantic Railroad files survey for line down Absecon Island. (NJCorp)
  • Nov. 9, 1875 West Jersey Railroad adopts PRR practice of awarding prizes to section foremen with best track.
  • Nov. 1875 Delaware Shore Railroad tracks laid from Woodbury to Paulsboro, N.J. (RRG)
  • Nov. 18, 1875 William Massey elected Pres. pro-tem of Camden & Atlantic Railroad, replacing Andrew K. Hay; Samuel Richards elected Assistant President. (MB)
  • Nov. 26, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Board recommends purchasing outstanding shares of Cape May & Millville Railroad. (MB)
  • Dec. 16, 1875 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board appoints committee on new station at South Carolina Avenue in Atlantic City. (MB)
  • Dec. 31, 1875 West Jersey Railroad Board approves lease of ASea Breeze House@ to Doughty & Lamb and cancels rent due for 1875 season; orders construction of track pans so can operate non-stop to Cape May next season; orders two new locomotives and six passenger cars; new passenger depot on Ocean Drive at Cape May; recommends operating PRR steamboat Robert F. Stockton Philadelphia-New Castle-Cape May for 1876 season; J.N Du Barry elected a director, replacing S.M.Felton, resigned. (MB)
  • 1875 West Jersey Railroad replaces 45-lb. rail with 60-lb. rail between Camden and Cape May; installs track pans at Millville (possibly early 1876 - yes); orders new anthracite-burning locomotives.
  • 1875 Camden & Atlantic Railroad builds new ferry house at Vine Street, Philadelphia. (AR)
  • 1875 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins steel and steel-faced rail at certain points like crossing of PRR Amboy Division; also begins installing stone ballast. (AR)
  • 1875 Because of depression, Camden & Atlantic Railroad does not operate Woodruff parlor car service. (AR- may be 1874)
  • Jan. 11, 1876 Freak combination of tide and very high winds make Delaware River too low for PRR ferries to cross between Philadelphia and Camden.(GM)
  • Jan. 20, 1876 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes extension of track in Atlantic Avenue, Atlantic City, to site for new Excursion House at Florida Avenue. (MB)
  • Feb. 14, 1876 Work of laying track on Delaware Shore Railroad resumes under new contract. (RRG)
  • Jan. 4, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board resolves to operate all trains on Atlantic Avenue this summer season, as stopping only at South Carolina Avenue station has proved unsatisfactory. (MB)
  • Jan. 18, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes applying for injunction to keep Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway from laying track on Arctic Avenue in Atlantic City; consider building an extension along the Delaware River in Camden from Coopers Point to the West Jersey Ferry at Market Street. (MB)
  • Apr. 19, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes contracting for from four to six Woodruff parlor cars this season. (MB)
  • Apr. 19, 1877 Philadelphia & Cape May Short Line Railway incorporated in N.J. by Charles K. Landis to build narrow-gauge line between Camden and Atlantic City via Vineland. (NJCorp)
  • Apr. 27, 1877 West Jersey Railroad Board reports a decision in case of Thomas, Porter & Chew vs. West Jersey Railroad in U.S. Circuit Court. (MB)
  • May 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad is now running trains to Atlantic City on Saturdays and Mondays non-stop in 1:30; to start daily train on June 1. (RRG)
  • May 17, 1877 Collings Road station renamed Collingswood on Camden & Atlantic Railroad . (MB)
  • May 25, 1877 West Jersey Railroad Board authorizes operation of Philadelphia-New Castle-Cape May steamboat this season. (MB)
  • June 1, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins running weekend round trip between Camden and Atlantic City in 1:30. (RyW)
  • June 21, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes double track on Atlantic Avenue between Pennsylvania Avenue and Massachusetts Avenue. (MB)
  • June 29, 1877 West Jersey Railroad Board authorizes chartering steamboat Keyport from Potomac Steamboat Company for Philadelphia-New Castle-Cape May service. (MB)
  • July 22, 1877 Delaware Shore Railroad begins Sunday service between Woodbury and Penns Grove, N.J.
  • Aug. 22, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes cutting fares to $1.50 or $2.00 excursion to equal Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway. (MB, RRG)
  • Aug. 31, 1877 West Jersey Railroad Board authorizes seeking reduction of rent on R.D. Wood & Co. Branch to Maurice River at Millville. (MB)
  • Sep. 2, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad and Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway begin offering 50-cent excursion tickets to Atlantic City; 104 carloads (8,000 people) carried at this fare on Camden & Atlantic and 42 cars (3,500 people) on Philadelphia & Atlantic City. (RyW)
  • Sep. 3, 1877 Atlantic City ordinance imposes penalties for use of track in Atlantic Avenue between Indiana and Arkansas Avenues. (MB)
  • Oct. 12, 1877 Philadelphia & Cape May Short Line Railway files map for narrowgauge line between Camden and Atlantic City via Vineland. (NJCorp)
  • Oct. 15, 1877 Philadelphia & Cape May Short Line Railway, a 3'-6" gauge line being promoted by Charles K. Landis of Vineland breaks ground at Vineland and Newfield. (NYT, RRG)
  • Oct. 25, 1877 Charles D. Freeman elected Pres. of Camden & Atlantic Railroad, replacing John Lucas, who declines reelection. (MB)
  • Nov. 12, 1877 William J. Sewell reports to West Jersey that Harlan & Hollingsworth is building a new boat for the Delaware River Steam Boat Company, which it controls and building a wharf adjacent to West Jersey’s wharf at Cape May; urges run Robert F. Stockton in competition and up river to Bordentown after summer season is over. (MB)
  • Dec. 20, 1877 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes purchase of new ferry boat. (MB)
  • Dec. 27, 1877 Delaware Shore Railroad enters receivership; Thomas L. Ogden named receiver. (RRG)
  • Mar. 21, 1878 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes naming four new Woodruff parlor cars now under construction. (MB)
  • Spring 1878 Camden & Atlantic Railroad installs train order semaphores at all telegraph stations. (AR)
  • May 4, 1878 West Jersey Railroad establishes express train running between Camden and Cape May in two hours. (RyW, PubLdgr)
  • May 1878 N.J. Attorney-General dissolves Charles K. Landis’s Philadelphia & Cape May Short Line Railway for failure to post surety with state as required by recent amendment to General Railroad Law. (RRG)
  • Aug. 15, 1878 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes new turntable at Coopers Point. (MB)
  • Aug. 1878 Camden & Atlantic Railroad decides to build double track from Camden to Haddonfield. (RRG)
  • Aug. 30, 1878 West Jersey Railroad Board notes bankruptcy of Bridgeton & Port Norris Railroad and takes steps to protect rails leased to it by West Jersey. (MB)
  • Sep. 19, 1878 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes Westinghouse air brake on all locomotives and cars; applies air brakes to about half of cars and locomotives. (MB, AR)
  • Nov. 9, 1878 Fire destroys 35 acres of Cape May resort district, including Congress Hall, Ocean House, Centre House, Atlantic Hotel and Columbia House; West Jersey Railroad's Stockton House and Sea Breeze Excursion House are spared; fire contributes to Cape May’s falling behind other New Jersey resorts that are closer to major cities. (Alexander, Francis).
  • Nov. 29, 1878 Cape May Passenger Railway files map for line from steamboat landing along shore front to Cape Avenue at Cape May Point. (NJCorp)
  • Nov. 30, 1878 Bridgeton & Port Norris Railroad sold at foreclosure. (RRG)
  • Dec. 27, 1878 West Jersey Railroad Board notes recent fire at Cape May that has destroyed 2,000 hotel rooms; orders 100 single rooms for young men built at the Stockton House as a separate building fronting George Street. (MB)
  • 1878
    • Camden & Atlantic Railroad builds float bridges at Coopers Point, Camden for interchanging cars with Reading by car float. (AR),
    • Camden & Atlantic Railroad builds new station at Winslow Jct. on New Jersey Southern Railroad. (AR),
    • West Jersey Railroad completes relaying Camden to Cape May with steel or heavy iron rail.
  • Jan. 16, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes negotiations to acquire Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway; authorizes contracting with Harlan & Hollingsworth for new iron ferry boat Coopers Point. (MB)
  • Jan. 25, 1879 West Jersey Railroad Board declines Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway’s asking price of $900,000, half in bonds and half in stock. (MB)
  • Feb. 4, 1879 Delaware Shore Railroad reopens over whole length after devastation of hurricane of Oct. 1878. (PubLdgr)
  • Feb. 5, 1879 William Massey agrees with Camden & Atlantic Railroad to turn over a controlling interest in Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway. (MB)
  • Feb. 6, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board reports are negotiating with Atlantic City Horse Railroad for purchase of its franchises for $6,000; appoints

committee on negotiations with Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway.(MB)

  • Feb. 6, 1879 Henry Roe Campbell (1807-1879), pioneer civil engineer and inventor of the 4-4-0 type steam locomotive, dies at Woodbury, N.J. (PWSchopp)
  • Feb. 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins running Saturday express to Atlantic City for winter visitors. (RyW)
  • Mar. 13, 1879 Cape May Passenger Railway files map for line from turnpike road to Excursion House. (NJCorp)
  • Mar. 20, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board informed of conditional agreement with William Massey to buy Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway; also will have majority of Williamstown Railroad bonds within a few days; accept new Atlantic City ordinance; set Atlantic City fare as $1.25 oneway and $2.00 excursion. (MB)
  • Apr. 12, 1879 Delaware Bay & Cape May Railroad incorporated in N.J.; files map for line from turnpike road to Cape May Excursion House. (NJCorp - supersedes Cape May Passenger Railway?)
  • Apr. 1879 West Jersey Railroad building branch (Delaware Bay & Cape May Railroad) of three miles from Cape May to Cape May Point, now only served by horse cars. (RRG)
  • May 17, 1879 West Jersey Railroad establishes non-stop run between Camden and Cape May in 2:15. (C&C - AR says 1876!!)
  • May 17, 1879 West Jersey Railroad excursion runs Camden to Cape May in record 1:38. (RyW)
  • May 29, 1879 West Jersey Railroad committee reports to Board on Ludlam’s Beach; Charles K. Landis has purchased entire property but needs assistance of WJRR to build branch line; Board orders survey. (MB)
  • June 5, 1879 Richard B. Osborne hosts 25th anniversary excursion celebrating opening of Camden & Atlantic Railroad. (RRG)
  • June 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad receives new ferry Coopers Point from Harlan & Hollingsworth. (AR, RyW)
  • June 17, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes Pres. Freeman to attend foreclosure sale of Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway with power to purchase. (MB)
  • June 27, 1879 West Jersey Railroad Board appoints committee for new branch line from Seaville to Ludlam’s Beach. (MB)
  • June 28, 1879 Delaware Shore Railroad sold at foreclosure at Woodbury; only bid, for $101,000, is under limit, so sale postponed. (RRG)
  • July 4, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad holds 25th anniversary excursion to Atlantic City. (MB)
  • July 7, 1879 Mortgage trustees William H. Gatzmer and Garrett B. Linderman take possession of Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway. (RyW)
  • July 1879 West Jersey Railroad has cut excursion fare to 3/4 cents per mile and is doing a big business this season. (RRG)
  • July 1879 Delaware Bay & Cape May Railroad opens between Cape May and Cape May Point, replacing old horse car line; operates in connection with West Jersey Railroad. (RRG)
  • July 17, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes taking steps to enforce Feb. 5 agreement with William Massey to acquire Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway. (MB)
  • July 25, 1879 West Jersey Railroad committee reports it is impressed by Charles K. Landis’s work on Ludlam’s Beach, but recommend against building branch line as no development yet and WJRR lacks branching powers; should only build branch after money has been spent to develop the island and a separate railroad company is organized. (MB)
  • July 26, 1879 Delaware Shore Railroad sold at foreclosure at Woodbury to Thomas L. Ogden for bondholders. (C&C, RRG)
  • Aug. 21, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board orders 8:00 AM, 10:00 AM and 4:15 PM trains to stop distributing passengers along Atlantic Avenue in Atlantic City; hears report that ferries Atlantic and Arasapha are not worth repairing and orders a new boat. (MB)
  • Sep. 10, 1879 Charles K. Landis writes to West Jersey Railroad urging importance of Ludlam’s Island. (MB)
  • Sep. 15, 1879 West Jersey Railroad informs Charles K. Landis that his development at Ludlam’s Beach is not a paying proposition and that he should invest more money in improvements, and if successful, West Jersey Railroad will build a branch there. (MB)
  • Sep. 22, 1879 West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad organized at Camden; George Wood (1842-1926), head of Wood family iron and textile enterprises, and future founder of Wawa Dairy Farms, elected Pres. (MB, RRG)
  • Sep. 25, 1879 Cape May & Millville Railroad merged into West Jersey Railroad under agreement of Aug. 29, 1879. (Val)
  • Sep. 26, 1879 George B. Roberts elected Pres. of West Jersey Railroad. (MB)
  • Oct. 2, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board meets to consider threat posed by PRR’s West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad; Richard B. Osborne recommends building a branch from Coopers Point to the West Jersey Ferry; Board authorizes trying to secure a ferry landing between Arch & Walnut Streets in Philadelphia; also to make offer of lease to PRR. (MB)
  • Oct. 3, 1879 Delaware River Railroad incorporated in N.J. as reorganization of Delaware Shore Railroad; under control of du Pont interests, which have plans to build a large dynamite plant at Gibbstown. (Val)
  • Oct. 14, 1879 West Jersey Railroad Board agrees to buy one-fifth of West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad stock and make an exclusive traffic contract with it. (MB)
  • Oct. 23, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes legal action against West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad; authorizes building track down the beach at Atlantic City as soon as possible. (MB)
  • Oct. 30, 1879 West Jersey Railroad Board authorizes $3 million bond issue. (MB)
  • Nov. 5, 1879 West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad incorporated to build line in interest of West Jersey Railroad from Newfield to Atlantic City to give PRR share of resort traffic. (Val)
  • Nov. 10, 1879 PRR establishes two trains between Jersey City and Camden for people doing business on the east side of Philadelphia, which is reached more

easily by ferry. (RRG, PubLdgr)

  • Nov. 19, 1879 Ocean City Association organized by three brother Methodist ministers, S. Wesley Lake, Ezra B. Lake and James E. Lake to establish a Christian

family resort on Peck’s Beach, south of Absecon Island, N.J.; to be patterned after Ocean Grove. (Lee)

  • Nov. 28, 1879 West Jersey Railroad Board approves contract with West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad. (MB)
  • Dec. 18, 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Pres. Freeman reports that he has visited CNJ receiver F.S. Lathrop and made plans to run freight and passenger trains between New York and Philadelphia via Atco and to build a branch in Camden to a point opposite the PW&B yard at Washington Street. (MB)
  • Dec. 22, 1879 William J. Sewell advises West Jersey Railroad to cut fares on Cape May line to $1.50 and $2.25 round trip because of agitation for competing lines and new competition for Atlantic City business. (MB)
  • Dec. 26, 1879 West Jersey Railroad Board approves abolishing the three-year free “improvement tickets” to Cape May and Sea Grove given to anyone building a house worth $2,500, as people getting too used to free rides; urges study to sell or rent Stockton House at Cape May. (MB)
  • Dec. 29, 1879 West Jersey Railroad signs agreement for construction and operation of West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad. (Val)
  • 1879 Camden & Atlantic Railroad
    • begins running express trains to Atlantic City year-round. (AR)
    • completes installation of air brakes; half of all passenger cars now also equipped with Miller coupler and platform.(AR)
    • completes replacement of all original 62-lb. U-rail. (AR)
    • builds stone station at crossing of PRR Amboy Division in Camden. (AR)

1880- 1899

  • Jan. 15, 1880 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board reports plan to acquire Shackamaxon Street ferry; reports that Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway is laying track in Baltic Avenue at Atlantic City; authorizes arranging with West Jersey Ferry Company to run ferry between Coopers Point and Market Street, Philadelphia. (MB)
  • Jan. 27, 1880 Philadelphia, Marlton & Medford Railroad incorporated in N.J. to build from Haddonfield to Medford; controlled by Camden & Atlantic Railroad. (Val)
  • Feb. 10, 1880 Property of Tuckerton Railroad sold to bondholders committee for $85,000; reorganized under same name on July 8. (Brinckmann)
    • Ocean City Association adopts plat for Ocean City, N.J. (Lee)
  • Feb. 11, 1880 Five Mile Beach Improvement Company makes proposition to West Jersey Railroad; have bought all of Five Mile Beach Island, which is covered with dense growth of oak, holly and cedar, and have platted a town, Anglesea, with 21 east-west streets; offer to provide right of way and grading if West Jersey Railroad will provide rails and rolling stock. (MB)
    • Tuckerton Railroad sold at foreclosure for $85,000. (RRG)
  • Feb. 19, 1880 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board authorizes putting engine of ferry Atlantic into Arasapha and building new Atlantic; considers buying Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway in combination with PRR. (MB)
  • Feb. 20, 1880 Camden & Atlantic Railroad holds excursion to showcase new Woodruff parlor car Marion F. (RyW)
  • Feb. 25, 1880 Committee of West Jersey Railroad Board reports in favor of accepting proposition of Five Mile Beach Improvement Company to build railroad to Anglesea. (MB)
  • Feb. 26, 1880 Jay Gould proposes to sell Vineland Railway (Atsion-Bayside, N.J.) to PRR and detach it from CNJ system, eliminating competition with West Jersey Railroad; PRR accepts, but Gould is unable to deliver, the move being a bluff in his negotiations with the CNJ. (MB)
  • Feb. 27, 1880 West Jersey Railroad Board hears offer of Camden, Gloucester & Mt. Ephraim Railway to sell. (MB)
  • Mar. 18, 1880 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board reports that Mays Landing & Egg Harbor City Railroad is in bad shape and should give up lease of extension from Mays Landing station to shipyard as soon as possible; vote to continue trains on Atlantic Avenue in Atlantic City, as residents demand it; report that PRR refuses to join in buying Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway, and Massey has increased his price from $390,000 to $420,000. (MB)
  • Apr. 15, 1880 Camden & Atlantic Railroad Board orders opening new slips at Camden with trial run of new ferry Atlantic; new station is almost completed. (MB,PubLdgr)
  • Apr. 1880 Anglesea Railroad signs construction contract with Peter F. Collins of Philadelphia. (RRG)
  • Apr. 25, 1880 Camden & Atlantic Railroad begins running seasonal Sunday express train between Camden and Atlantic City. (PubLdgr)
  • Jan. 10, 1898 Removal of Smith and Windmill Islands in Delaware River completed. (Boyer)
  • Jan. 13, 1898 PRR YMCA opens at 3rd & Bridge Streets, Camden. (Boyer)
  • Feb. 1898 Old West Jersey ferry house at Market Street, Philadelphia, demolished. (RyW)
  • Feb. 1, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad officials have second conference with Atlantic City officials; the city now proposes to pave Atlantic Avenue with brick from Massachusetts to Florida Avenues and pay 60% of the cost, providing the company removes the Belgian block paving it installed between Massachusetts and Mississippi Avenues at a cost of $26,854 in 1895-96, lower the grade by 6 inches, and pay 40% of the cost of paving and thereafter pay for maintenance from curb to curb. (MB)
  • Feb. 1, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad agrees with the Delaware River Railroad for the exchange of traffic. (MB)
  • Feb. 25, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad Board accepts a proposition to operate the Cooper’s Point & Philadelphia Ferry Company. (MB)
  • Mar. 9, 1898 Dustless Roadbed Company incorporated in N.J. with PRR backing; uses patent of Pres. James H. Nichol, Assistant Engineer of West Jersey & Seashore; Secretary-Treasurer is O.J. DeRousse of PRR; other directors include A.J. Cassatt; sprays oil on roadbeds to eliminate dust; PRR has oiled the Northeast corridor, West Jersey & Seashore, parts of Main Line and Amboy Division. (RyW, RRGaz)
  • Mar. 25, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad changes the name of Lodi station to Orchard on the Medford Branch. (MB)
  • Apr. 1898 LIRR and West Jersey & Seashore Railroad contact with the Dustless Roadbed Company. (RRGaz)
  • Apr. 29, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad Board adopts the location for a branch from Pleasantville on the old West Jersey & Atlantic Railroad to Absecon on the old Camden & Atlantic Railroad. (MB)
  • May 4, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad completes double track between Berlin and Atlantic City, completing whole line, including upgrade to 100-lb. rail; also elevated track over crossing of New Jersey Southern Railway at Winslow Jct.; done to accommodate fast trains via Delair Bridge route. (AR, RRGaz)
  • May 4, 1898 Through New York & Atlantic City Express resumes for the season, now rerouted via Delair and West Haddonfield instead of running via Camden. (NYT, PassDept)
  • June 1898 N.J. Court of Chancery grants temporary injunction against West Jersey & Seashore Railroad interfering with crossing being built by Atlantic City Railroad in Atlantic City. (RyW)
  • July 1, 1898 Sleeping car line established between Pittsburgh and Atlantic City. (PassDept)
  • July 1, 1898 PRR resumes running a New York-Cape May buffet parlor car for the summer season. (NYT)
  • July 6, 1898 Group of 32 boys of the Junior Dept. of the PRR Dept. of the YMCA of Philadelphia begins a 10-day camping session at “Camp William J. Latta,” a tent camp on the beach at Ocean City, N.J.; a nor’easter on the eighth day drenches everyone and brings the excursion to a premature end. (PRRMN)
  • July 18, 1898 The 1,780-foot Steel Pier, a major amusement center, opens at the foot of Virginia Avenue in Atlantic City. (Butler)
  • Oct. 7, 1898 PRR announces that it will continue to run the New York & Atlantic City Express through the fall and winter season. (NYT)
  • Dec. 19, 1898 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad rejects terms offered by Atlantic City for repaving Atlantic Avenue. (MB)
  • 1898 Double track completed between Delair and West Haddonfield. (AR)
  • Jan. 27, 1899 Camden & Philadelphia Steam Boat Ferry Company and West Jersey Ferry Company sign agreement to merge to form Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company; brings Market Street-Camden ferry lines under single ownership prior to consolidating into a single route as part of Camden terminal improvements. (AR)
  • Mar. 1899 Rebuilding of Market Street ferry station in Philadelphia completed; new ornamental copper facade on Delaware Avenue; building is constructed with provision for future upper-deck loading as at New York, but doubledeck boats are never introduced on the Camden run, although plans for such boats are drawn. (Val, AR, PRRMN)
  • Mar. 22, 1899 Through parlor car service begins between Washington and Atlantic City. (PassDept)
  • Apr. 1, 1899 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company incorporated as merger of Camden & Philadelphia Steam Boat Ferry Company and West Jersey Ferry Company under agreement of Jan. 27, 1899. (AR)
  • Apr. 9, 1899 Waterford, N.J., station, last original station on old Camden & Atlantic Railroad, destroyed by fire. (RyW)
  • May 5, 1899 Newfield & Atlantic City RPO established. (Kay)
  • June 1, 1899 William J. Sewell promoted from VP to Pres. of West Jersey & Seashore Railroad, replacing Frank Thomson. (AR)
  • July 1, 1899 Summer-only all-parlor car train between Washington and Atlantic City established, running one day a week; single through parlor car operates other days. (PassDept)
  • July 18, 1899 A 4-4-2 Class E-1 runs on train No. 269, Atlantic City-Camden, 7 cars, in 0:51, at speeds up to 83 MPH. (RRGaz)
  • July 20, 1899 Class E1 makes another Atlantic City-Camden run on train No. 269 with 8 cars at speeds up to 76.5 MPH; prior to this time no fast schedule had been made with more than 7 cars. (RRGaz)
  • July 31, 1899 Class E1 makes another Atlantic City-Camden run with 8 cars in 0:50:30 at maximum 83 MPH. (RRGaz)
  • Sep. 1899 Regular races between Reading’s 4-4-2's and PRR Class E1 4-4-2's on Camden-Atlantic City trains at sustained speeds of up to 75 MPH. (RyW)
  • Sep. 20, 1899 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad closes the sale of its Excursion House property at Chelsea, Atlantic City, to a New York syndicate that is to build a modern hotel. (NYT)
  • Oct. 9, 1899 New York Shipbuilding Company incorporated in N.J.; it selects a site at Camden for the construction of a large modern shipyard. (NJCorps)
  • Oct. 14, 1899 Sea View Hotel Company sells a part of its property in the Chelsea section of Atlantic City bounded by Albany, Annapolis, Atlantic and Ocean Avenues to the Atlantic City & Chelsea Improvement Company, which is to build a first-class resort hotel on it, for $360,000; the Sea View Excursion House is too far from the other resort attractions. (MB, Butler)
  • Oct. 27, 1899 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad Board confirms purchase of stocks and bonds of the Delaware River Railroad for $245,742. (MB)
  • Nov. 1, 1899 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad begins operating Delaware River Railroad running between Woodbury and Penns Grove, N.J., under agreement of Oct. 27, 1899. (Val, MB, AR)
  • Nov. 14, 1899 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad releases to the Atlantic City & Chelsea Improvement Company the rights to lay track for a passenger railway in Dover, Harrisburg & Trenton Avenue through the property recently sold by the Sea View Hotel Company to the Atlantic City & Chelsea Improvement Company. (MB)
  • Nov. 23, 1899 Ground broken for a 400-room, 6 storey hotel on the West Jersey & Seashore Railroad’s former Chelsea property in Atlantic City. (NYT)
  • Nov. 28, 1899 Pioneer civil engineer Richard Boyse Osborne (1815-1899), builder of Camden & Atlantic Railroad and of Atlantic City, dies at Glenside, Pa. (EngrsClubPhila, RRGaz)
  • Dec. 8, 1899 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad buys the remaining real estate of the Sea View Hotel Company bounded by Atlantic, Trenton, Arctic & Albany Avenues in the Chelsea section of Atlantic City. (MB)
  • Dec. 16, 1899 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad Board authorizes installing automatic block signals on the Atlantic City line from 19th Street, Camden, to the Thorofare drawbridge. (MB)
  • 1899
    • Pavonia Yard (Camden) enlarged. (AR)
    • Tower built at Wheat Sheaf Lane on the Delair Bridge line. (AR)
    • PRR begins installing stone ballast and automatic signals on the old Camden & Atlantic main line to Atlantic City. (AR)
    • West Jersey & Seashore Railroad buys land in the Chelsea section of Atlantic City for a new station. (AR)
    • Philadelphia & Port Norris RPO cut back to Philadelphia & Bridgeton RPO; mail sacks had been transferred to Cumberland & Maurice River (CNJ) train at Bridgeton Jct.; no through car. (Kay)



1900's

  • June 12, 1901 An automatic pneumatic block signal system placed in service between Camden and Atlantic City on the C&A main line.
  • June 23, 1901 The new Camden Terminal and ferry house opens; train shed 570' x 252' with 11 tracks; uses components from 1881 Broad Street Station sheds. The old ferry houses at Federal and Market Streets are abandoned.
  • Dec. 27, 1901 Gen. William Joyce Sewell (1835-1901), Pres. of WJ&S and Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company and PRR's voice in the U.S. Senate, dies at Camden.
  • May 10, 1902 PRR agrees with City of Camden to elevate Amboy Division west of Cooper Creek.
  • June 23, 1902 New Camden Terminal station opens.
  • May 24, 1903 PRR inaugurates 90-minute service between Philadelphia and Cape May.
  • May 30, 1904 PRR imports experimental deGlehn compound 4-4-2 from France, DeGlehn compound locomotive № 2512 tested between Camden and Atlantic City over West Jersey & Seashore Railroad; is underpowered compared with PRR locomotives; morning test with 11 cars is unable to make up time; test with 5 cars in afternoon is on time. (NYT,BR2B)
  • 1904 Camden, N.J., freight yard rearranged. (AR)
  • Dec. 15, 1905 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad grants Atlantic City & Shore Railroad from point near MEADOWS Tower west of Atlantic City via Pleasantville to Somers Point for electric service. (Val)
  • 1905 WJ&S grants trackage rights to Atlantic City & Shore __ between Meadows Tower and Somers Point via Pleasantville and Atlantic City to Longport with use of steam launches. (AR)
  • 1905 WJ&S builds new launch for Ocean City-Longport service. (AR)
  • Jan. 1906 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad begins work on Westville Cutoff between West Haddonfield and Westville, planning to make a complete belt line from the Delair Bridge around Camden to the old West Jersey main line. (Val)
  • Jan. 26, 1906 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad obtains trackage rights over Atlantic City Railroad between Winslow Jct. and Woodbine Jct., providing a more direct route to resorts below Atlantic City than original West Jersey Railroad route via Millville. (Val)
  • May 1906 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad opens extension from Penns Grove to Carney's Point, N.J., to reach Du Pont explosives and chemical plant; Du Pont favors shipment by Reading car floats between Deepwater and Pigeon Point, Del. (Val)
  • June 12, 1906 First PRR steel coach No. 1651 runs from Altoona to Atlantic City with delegates to Master Car Builders' convention; is 74'-6", 110,000 lbs.; 6-wheel trucks. (CCHS)
  • June 30, 1906 Through service between Philadelphia and Cape May via Delair Bridge begins; express trains to Ocean City, Wildwood, and Cape May begin running via trackage rights over Atlantic City Railroad between Winslow Jct. and Woodbine Jct. to clear old WJ&S route for electric trains (or 6/26??); connecting tracks built at Woodbine Jct. (Mount Pleasant) and Winslow Jct. ( , Val)
  • June 30, 1906 Anglesea Jct., N.J., renamed Wildwood Jct. on WJ&S.
  • July 25, 1906 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad obtains trackage rights over Atlantic City & Ocean City Railroad between Somers Point and Ocean City; West Jersey & Seashore grants Atlantic City & Shore Railroad trackage rights into 8th Street Station at Ocean City. (Val)
  • Aug. 24, 1906 Steam passenger service makes last run between Pleasantville and Somers Point, N.J. because of trolley competition.
  • Aug. 25, 1906 Atlantic City & Shore Railroad begins trolley operation over West Jersey & Seashore tracks between the Thorofare and Somers Point via Pleasantville; has own tracks on city streets between the Thorofare and Virginia Avenue and Boardwalk.
  • Sep. 18, 1906 Electrified service (600 volt, DC) begins between Camden and Altlantic City via Newfield (and Pleasantville to Somers Point?) (elsewhere 8/25 - AR has 9/18); includes automatic block signals between Camden and Newfield; electrification designed by George Gibbs of Westinghouse.
  • Oct. 14, 1906 Electrified service begins between Newfield and Millville.
  • Oct. 15, 1906 Philadelphia & Bridgeton RPO cut to Glassboro & Bridgeton RPO. (Kay)
  • Oct. 15, 1906 Philadelphia & Salem RPO cut to Woodbury & Salem RPO; Philadelphia & Cape May RPO split into Philadelphia & Millville RPO and Millville & Cape May RPO; Philadelphia & Bridgeton RPO cut to Glassboro & Bridgeton RPO. (Kay)
  • Oct. 28, 1906 Three-car electric train No. 1065 from Camden to Atlantic City derails on Thorofare Bridge just west of Atlantic City and falls into water at 2:25 PM; first two cars instantly submerged; third is left hanging partially submerged from abutment; 57 killed; coroners jury blames improper locking of draw span rails. (NYT, Shaw)
  • 1906 Separate electric line opens from new platforms on south side of Camden Terminal to 2nd Street. (Val - has 12/1906)
  • Mar. 1907 WJ&S withdraws large number of Atlantic City trains, both steam and electric. (may be late Feb.). (RRG)
  • Apr. 17, 1907 Atlantic City & Shore Railroad opens electric service between Somers Point and 8th Street, Ocean City. (or 7/4/07?? - Gladulich); West Jersey & Seashore steam launch service between Somers Point and Ocean City discontinued (effective with summer sched?? - i.e. last run would have been 9/1906)
  • June 15, 1907 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad leases operation of Atlantic City-Longport trolley line to Atlantic City & Shore Railroad. (or 7/16?? - includes operation of Longport-Ocean City launches)
  • June 28, 1907 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad grants trackage rights to Atlantic City & Shore Railroad over Atlantic City-Longport Branch and use of boat line between Longport and Ocean City, effective July 15. (Val)
  • Oct. 9, 1907 PRR Board approves plan for new yard between Pavonia and Fish House (Pavonia Yard) on Amboy Division. (MB)
  • Nov. 12, 1907 Tests of PRR experimental electric locomotives and New Haven Class EP-1 electric locomotive to ascertain lateral stress on rails begin on a sevenmile tangent between Clayton and Franklinville, N.J., on WJ&S; test track is fitted with evenly spaced hard Brinnell balls which are driven into soft steel plates by lateral forces transmitted from locomotive to track; PRR No. 10003 considered most successful and becomes prototype for Class DD1 of 1909; No. 10001 and No. 10002, without pilot truck, have too much lateral impact; also test Class D16b and E2 steam locomotives for comparison. ( , NYT, Condit)
  • Nov. 16, 1907 BLW-Westinghouse electric locomotive No. 10003 makes five test runs at Franklinville up to 80 MPH. (NYT)
  • Dec. 5, 1907 Steam locomotive hits 99 MPH in Franklinville Trials. (NYT)
  • Dec. 11, 1907 New Haven electric locomotive lately on display at Jamestown Exposition sets U.S. speed record for an electric locomotive of 92 MPH at Franklinville Trials. (NYT)
  • Dec. 27, 1907 Pemberton local rear-ends Atlantic City express waiting to enter Camden Terminal in dense fog at 8:30 AM; local telescoped and boiler burst, flooding wreckage with steam; 4 killed, 21 injured. (NYT)
  • 1907 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad opens Van Hook Street Cutoff in Camden connecting with ex-Camden & Atlantic main line and bypassing street running in 7th Street. (Val)
  • 1907 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad opens extension from Holly Beach to Wildwood Crest (1.12 miles). (Val - RRG says 0.56 mi.)
  • May 1908 PRR receives first all-steel coach from Pressed Steel Car Company; taken from Pittsburgh to Altoona for display; will display at annual MCB convention in Atlantic City in June. (WEJ)
  • June 1, 1908 WJ&S raises fares; Philadelphia-Atlantic city round trip by 25 cents. (RRG)
  • July 2, 1908 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad grants trackage rights to Atlantic City & Shore Railroad over Atlantic Avenue track in Atlantic City between South Carolina & Virginia Avenues. (Val)
  • Aug. 14, 1908 PRR sends 52 cars of excursionists from Pittsburgh to Atlantic City. (RRAgeGaz)
  • Oct. 1, 1908 PRR sells West Jersey Express Company to Adams Express Company.
  • Dec. 1908 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad "temporarily" abandons work on Westville Cutoff around Camden, which is never completed. (Val)

1910's

  • May 27, 1910 Through summer-only service begins between Camden and Ocean City via Somers Point; in later years ran Sundays-only through 1930.
  • 1910 West Jersey & Seashore track elevation opens between Wright Avenue and Spruce Street at Camden.
  • July 3, 1911 Brakeman's error switches Atco-Camden local No. 218 across main line at Lucaston, N.J., directly into path of Philadelphia-Atlantic City Express No. 185, which cuts through it at top speed; two killed and 17 injured. (NYT)
  • Nov. 1911 New WJ&S ferry house opens at Vine Street, Philadelphia. (Val)
  • 1911 WJ&S extends Stone Harbor Branch 0.62 mi. to 107th Street. (AR)
  • 1911 New station built at Pleasantville, N.J. on WJ&S. (AR)
  • Jan. 1, 1912 Camden Terminal Division created from portion of former Amboy Division lying south of Fish House.
  • 1912 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad extends branch at Stone Harbor by 0.88 mile. (Val)
  • Apr. 1913 WJ&S stockholders vote to lease line to PRR at 6%; lease is subsequently blocked by New Jersey PUC and is not executed until 1930 (?). (NYT)
  • Spring 1913 PRR conducts tests of high speed air brakes with pneumatic or electrical controls on southbound track of Atlantic City Division of WJ&S; test train, consisting of a K2 Pacific and 12 P70 coaches makes a total of 691 runs; train, weighing 1,000 tons, can be stopped in 1,000 feet or about its own length, from 60 MPH. (RyAge)
  • July 1, 1913 PRR leases West Jersey & Seashore Railroad; creates West Jersey Division with headquarters at Camden.
  • Jan. 29, 1914 City of Camden adopts resolution calling for PRR to resume work of grade crossing elimination on Atlantic City Division from Spruce Street to the old Harleigh station and at White Horse Pike and Ferry Avenue.
  • May 20, 1914 Gloucester Branch of WJ&S (0.66 mi.) opens Gloucester to South Gloucester N.J. (AR)
  • 1914 WJ&S sells ferry Annex 5 and replaces with Columbia purchased from Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company; has a total of 3 ferries, plus 5 launches leased to Atlantic City & Shore since __. (AR)
  • Jan. 20, 1915 In hearing before New Jersey PUC, counsel for Jersey Commuters' Association argues that PRR has has raised fares unjustly to cover losses of expensive projects like the Westville Cutoff and through collusive awards of contracts to steel companies. (NYT)
  • Apr. 22, 1915 New Jersey Court of Errors & Appeals rules that right of PUC to bar PRR's lease of WJ&S. (NYT)
  • Aug. 12, 1915 United New Jersey Railroad & Canal Company grants West Jersey & Seashore Railroad trackage rights between Camden Terminal and Pavonia Yard retroactive to June 1, 1915; West Jersey & Seashore grants PRR trackage rights over electric line at Camden Terminal. (Val)
  • Jan. 6, 1916 Paulsboro Branch of WJ&S (1.01 mi.) opens from Paulsboro to factory of I.P. Thomas & Son Company. (AR)
  • May 1, 1916 Fish House-Morris ceded from Trenton Division to Camden Terminal Division; Delair-West Haddonfield ceded from Amboy (?) Division to WJ&S. (MB, AR)
  • 1916 Track elevation opens between Spruce Street and Everett Street, Camden, on Atlantic City line. (AR)
  • 1916 WJ&S establishes telephone dispatching between Camden and Cape May and on Maurice River, Ocean City, Stone Harbor and Wildwood Branches. (AR)
  • May 4, 1917 Millville & Watsontown RPO discontinued. (Kay)?
  • Sep. 17, 1917 Newfield & Atlantic City RPO discontinued. (Kay)
  • 1918 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad abandons outermost 0.45 mile of branch at Stone Harbor.
  • Feb. 7, 1919 Woodbury & Salem RPO discontinued. (Kay)

1920's

  • Apr. 7, 1920 West Jersey & Seashore Board approves designation as Atlantic Division. (ATO)
  • Oct. 26, 1920 Woodbury & Salem RPO extended to Philadelphia & Salem RPO. (Kay)
  • Nov. 1, 1920 PRR cancels interchangeable tickets with Reading for points between Philadelphia and Pottsville and between WJ&S and Atlantic City Railroad to all seashore points; had been implemented by USRA. (ATO)
  • 1920 WJ&S disposes of 5 launches used in former Longport-Ocean City service. (AR)
  • June 13, 1921 Glassboro & Bridgeton RPO extended to Philadelphia & Bridgeton RPO. (Kay)
  • Oct. 13, 1921 PRR Board authorizes purchase of two steel ferries for Philadelphia-Camden service and construction of an additional slip on each side of Delaware River. (MB)
  • 1921 New freight yard built between Pavonia and Fish House, N.J. (AR?)
  • Jan. 10, 1922 ICC orders 49 railroads to each equip one division with automatic stop or speed control systems; PRR lines are Philadelphia-Pittsburgh, Philadelphia-Atlantic City, and Pittsburgh-Indianapolis. (order made public 1/11 - NYT)
  • Jan. 28, 1922 Blizzard strikes Virginia and Washington, D.C., reaching almost to the latitude of New York City before moving out to sea; Rail travel south of Philadelphia crippled and through trains to South annulled; at 6:00 PM, PRR attempts to run a train from New York to Washington, but it is blocked south of Philadelphia; Southern Railway train leaves Penn Station at 12:#0 AM of Jan. 29. (NYT)
  • Jan. 29, 1922 PRR restores Northeast Corridor service; Atlantic City still cut off, and tow WJ&S electric trains stranded at Clayton. (NYT)
  • Feb. 1, 1922 PRR announces that it will sell advertising space in trains and stations, reversing a long-time policy; to be limited at first to MU cars out of Philadelphia and Camden and Camden and Jersey City ferryboats. (NYT)
  • Feb. 13, 1922 PRR and other railroads testify to committee of N.J. Legislature calling for repeal of state's Full Crew Law and in favor of new bill that would let PUC to prevent undermanning but give railroads discretion to set crew size. (NYT)
  • Mar. 8, 1922 PRR Board authorizes extension of Wildwood Branch from Wildwood Crest to Cold Spring Inlet.
  • July 1, 1922 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company cuts vehicular rates. (AR)
  • 1922 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company receives Haddonfield and Millville. (AR)
  • June 17, 1923 PRR inaugurates Chicago-Atlantic City drawing room/compartment sleepers on The Pennsylvania Limited.
  • Sep. 3, 1923 Atlantic City experiences record Labor Day weekend crowds; PRR carries 200,000 and Reading 165,000; returning, PRR trains leave every 15 minutes and Reading every 20 minutes. (NYT)
  • Sep. 1923 PRR wins grand prize for its two floats in the Atlantic City National Beauty Tournament Parade (later the Miss America Pageant); the first features a map of the PRR system showing all lines leading to Atlantic City with a model railroad controlled by automatic signals around the base; the second features an E6 and P70 coach emerging from a rotating world globe. (Guide)
  • Sep. 27, 1924 Last run of year-round commuter service between Camden and Chelsea Station in Atlantic City; operates summer-only thereafter. (Guide)
  • Oct. 21, 1924 Gasoline rail car replaces steam train on Stone Harbor Branch during Oct.-June off-season.
  • Oct. 21, 1924 Gasoline rail car replaces steam train on Stone Harbor Branch during Oct.-June off-season.
  • 1924 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad discontinues tugboat ferry across Maurice River between Maurice River and Bivalve. (C&C - date dropped from Record of Trans. Lines - prob. dropped from Guide earlier - 1924 is probably date tugs dropped completely)
  • July 5, 1925 WJ&S Wildwood Branch extended from Wildwood Crest to Cold Spring Harbor. (Guide)
  • July 27, 1925 12-car PRR express derails entering Atlantic City; 20 injured. (NYT)
  • May 1, 1926 PRR operates special trains from Camden to opening of new auto speedway on site of World War I munitions plant at Amatol, N.J.; includes spur tracks and platforms at Amatol.
  • May 1, 1926 Automobile racetrack opens on former Amatol site east of Hammonton; PRR establishes a station on grounds called "Speedway." (NYT)
  • July 1, 1926 Delaware River (Benjamin Franklin) Bridge opens between Philadelphia and Camden; permits aggressive bus competition for PRR's South Jersey commuter and resort traffic; formal ceremony held July 4.
  • July 1, 1926 For holiday weekend, PRR runs westbound Broadway Limited and Atlantic City Limited in two sections, plus five extra sections to NY&LB. (NYT)
  • July 2, 1926 PRR runs five extra sections from New York to Atlantic City, six to Philadelphia, and 11 to NY&LB points; PRR carries 400,000 from New York. (NYT)
  • Aug. 14, 1926 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company sells ferry Baltic. (AR)
  • Aug. 31, 1926 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company sells ferry Wenonah to Dyckman Street & Englewood Ferry Corporation at New York City. (AR)
  • Sep. 15, 1926 Last run of ferry service between Coopers Point, Camden, and Shackamaxon Street, Philadelphia. (Mutual)
  • Sep. 25, 1926 Last run of summer-only commuter service between Camden and Chelsea Station in Atlantic City; last passenger service on Chelsea Branch. (tt.)
  • Oct. 31, 1926 Last run of Coopers Point-Vine Street ferry at Philadelphia.
  • Nov. 28, 1926 Heavy Thanksgiving weekend travel to Atlantic City; New York Limited leaves in five sections with total of 49 Pullmans; regular New York train operates in two sections and one extra train run. (NYT)
  • 1926 Pavonia Yard near Camden revised and enlarged. (AR)
  • Mar. 8, 1927 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company writes down par value of stock from $50 to $40 and makes $10 per share cash distribution to stockholders because of anticipated poor future. (AR)
  • Mar. 20, 1927 Automatic train control and cab signals placed in service between Camden and Atlantic City via Winslow Jct.; first U.S. installation of coder-continuous type ATC. (US&S)
  • Mar. 27, 1927 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company cuts fare for vehicles with occupants to 25 cents to match Delaware River Bridge. (AR)
  • Apr. 18, 1927 Philadelphia & Bridgeton RPO cut back to Glassboro & Bridgeton RPO. (Kay)
  • July 1, 1927 The Sea Gull inaugurated as summer-only through train between Pittsburgh and Atlantic City with sleeping cars from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Akron and Wheeling; runs through Sep. 11.
  • July 7, 1927 PRR and Reading announce 30% reduction in fare from Philadelphia to shore points until Sep. 30 to meet bus competition. (NYT)
  • July 13, 1927 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company Board votes to reduce par value of stock from $40 to $25 and distribute $15 per share because of reduction in traffic. (NYT)
  • July 13, 1927 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company Board votes to reduce par value of stock from $40 to $25 and distribute $15 per share because of reduction in traffic. (NYT)
  • Sep. 5, 1927 PRR operates 42 extra trains and about 500 extra cars returning Labor Day crowds to New York; all-Pullman New York Limited runs from Atlantic City to New York Mon. and Tues. as well as Sunday. (NYT)
  • Sep. 24, 1927 Last run of passenger service between Haddonfield and Medford, N.J.
  • Sep. 25, 1927 WJ&S reduces local passenger service because of highway competition on the Salem and Penns Grove Branches (NYT)
  • 1927 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company sells two boats. (which?)
  • Jan. 6, 1928 Four-party conference meeting in Pres. Atterbury's office considers questions of merging PRR and Reading lines in South Jersey and rising New Jersey taxes.
  • Jan. 16, 1928 PRR opposes Public Service Transportation Company franchise for local bus line between Camden and Atlantic City in PSC hearing. (NYT)
  • Jan. 22, 1928 PRR and Reading slash fare between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, Ocean City, Stone Harbor, Wildwood and Cape May to meet bus competition; two-day excursion round trip to Atlantic City is $2.25 vs. $4.12 regular fare, good through Oct. 31; PRR operates first Atlantic City excursion train ever via Delair Bridge. (NYT)
  • Mar. 1, 1928 PRR cuts New York-Atlantic City fare to match CNJ-Reading cut. (NYT)
  • Apr. 28, 1928 PRR discontinues passenger service between Alloway Jct. and Quinton and between Elmer and Riddleton, N.J. (tt)
  • July 6, 1928 PRR inaugurates new summer Friday-only train of coaches and parlor cars from New York to Atlantic City, leaving at 5:20 PM. (NYT)
  • Sep. 5, 1928 PRR announces Labor Day weekend travel between New York, Philadelphia and Jersey shore points is up 18% from last year; total of 207,421 passengers. (NYT)
  • Sep. 19, 1928 Hurricane strikes southern New Jersey and New York metropolitan area; both PRR and Reading tracks washed out at Ocean City. (NYT)
  • Oct. 1, 1928 Philadelphia Terminal General Division created consisting of Philadelphia Terminal Division and Camden Terminal Division; 49th Street, Philadelphia-West Chester ceded from Maryland Division to Philadelphia Terminal Division (?)
  • Oct. 16, 1928 Philadelphia & Bridgeton RPO discontinued; revived in 1931. (Kay)
  • Oct. 20, 1928 Woodbury & Salem RPO discontinued. (Kay)
  • Nov. 1, 1928 Group of PRR officials makes brief circling flight in first Transcontinental Air Transport, Inc. Ford Tri-motor from Crescent Airport in Camden. (PD)
  • Nov. 2, 1928 First Transcontinental Air Transport, Inc. Tri-motor towed across Delaware River Bridge at 1:00 AM for display at armory at Broad & Diamond Streets in Philadelphia. (PD)
  • 1928 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad gros revenue down over $1 million from 1927 and $2 million from 1926 because of competition from buses on Delaware River Bridge; Atlantic City Railroad down $900,000 from 1927 and $1.5 million from 1927. (NYT)
  • 1928 R.K. Rochester named General Manager of Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company. (AR - and WJ&S?)
  • Feb. 21, 1929 CNJ inaugurates Blue Comet between Jersey City and Atlantic City in competition with PRR; first U.S. deluxe, no-extra fare coach train in special blue-and-cream livery; operates over Atlantic City Railroad between Winslow Jct. and Atlantic City. (Baer)
  • Mar. 4, 1929 PRR adds one New York-Atlantic City express and places all __ trains on 3:00 schedule to meet CNJ competition. (Guide)
  • Apr. 28, 1929 Atlantic City sleepers removed from the Buckeye Limited and placed on a new Cleveland-Pittsburgh train,
  • July 1929 New Jersey PUC approves Philadelphia-Camden-Atlantic City bus franchises for General Transit Company and Reading Transportation Company. (RyAge)
  • July 30, 1929 Pennsylvania General Transit Company and Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company file for local bus routes to Millville, Bridgeton, Salem, Penns Grove and Ocean City. (NYT)
  • Aug. 3? 1929 N.J. PUC gives Public Service Corporation exclusive intrastate bus rights in south Jersey; PRR and Reading file for injunction on Aug. 5. (NYT)
  • Oct. 2, 1929 South Jersey Transit Commission organized to improve mass transit in Philadelphia suburbs. (1931 rept.)
  • Nov. 15, 1929 Demolition of train shed of Camden Terminal begins; completed Feb. 5, 1930, and replaced with umbrella platforms.
  • Nov. 30, 1929 Philadelphia & Millville RPO and Millville & Wildwood RPO consolidated as Philadelphia & Wildwood RPO. (Kay)
  • 1929 West Jersey & Seashore Railroad abandons outermost 1.12 miles of branch at Stone Harbor. (C&C)
  • 1929 Atlantic City & Suburban Rail__ abandons all service between Atlantic City and Somers Point via Absecon. (ElctRyJrnl - prob. in spring)

1930's

  • Apr. 16, 1930 Trenton Division abolished; South Amboy-Camden, Bel-Del, and F&JA ceded to New York Division and Camden-Bay Head Jct. and branches to Camden Terminal Division.
  • Apr. 30, 1930 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company reduces par value of shares from 25 to 15. (AR)
  • June 18, 1930 American Railway Association convention opens at Atlantic City; PRR exhibits new flat car capable of carrying eight DD1 doubledoor containers. (built at Altoona - get date from photo) Also ALCO-Timken "Four Aces" 4-8-4 roller bearing demonstrator steam locomotive is there.
  • July 1, 1930 PRR leases West Jersey & Seashore Railroad under agreement of June 30, 1930 at fixed charges plus 6% dividend; Camden Terminal Division abolished and merged into Atlantic Division; Atlantic Division becomes part of Philadelphia Terminal General Division.
  • July 9, 1930 Crowd of 5,000 briefly overpowers prohibition agents who were in the process of destroying a contraband shipment of real beer discovered at Pavonia Yard in Camden, making off with about a dozen kegs before police restore order. (NYT)
  • July 1930 PRR begins carrying passengers' automobiles as baggage on The Sea Gull between Pittsburgh and Atlantic City to compete with highways.
  • Sep. 21, 1930 John T. Dorrance ( -1930), head of Campbell Soup Company and PRR director, dies. (NYT)
  • Nov. 12, 1930 Pres. Atterbury proposes a rail tunnel between Philadelphia and Camden as an extension of the Suburban Station line, to be built by the Delaware River Joint Commission; notes PRR has no cars capable of negotiating the grades of the Delaware River Bridge. (NYT)
  • Dec. 12, 1930 Citizens' meeting at Haddonfield calls for merger of PRR and Reading lines in southern New Jersey. (NYT)
  • Dec. 17, 1930 PRR and Reading announce willingness to confer on merging South Jersey lines. (NYT)
  • Dec. 18, 1930 Representatives of all commercial and transportation interests in South Jersey meet with Gov. Larson in Camden; endorse rapid transit line on Delaware River Bridge over other options; Pres. Clement supports a rail tunnel to Camden; Reading objects as bridge line will not serve its new Kaighns Point Terminal. (1931 rept.)
  • Dec. 26, 1930 Police raid a still hidden in building at abandoned Pavonia Shops in Camden; work had been moved to Wilmington. (NYT)
  • Jan. 19, 1931 Joint resolution introduced in New Jersey Assembly calling for PUC to arrange for consolidation of Reading and PRR lines in southern New Jersey.
  • Jan. 21, 1931 South Jersey Transit Commission reports to Gov. Larson; recommends rapid transit line over Delaware River Bridge with transfer station for rail passengers at Broadway and a new bus station near City Hall; also consider but reject a rail tunnel from Suburban Station to PRR Camden Station under Arch and Filbert Streets and an extension of bridge line to Kaighns Point; PRR had originally surveyed the tunnel, estimated at $45 million and offered to operate it if the states paid for construction. (rept.)
  • Mar. 3, 1931 New Jersey Legislature orders Public Utility Commission to study railroad unification in South Jersey.
  • Mar. 25, 1931 PRR Board authorizes construction of extensions Quinton-Bayside and Penns Grove-Salem, N.J. (MB)
  • May 1, 1931 South Jersey buses of Public Service Company of New Jersey begin loading at Broad Street Station, improving connections with Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines.
  • May 27, 1931 Coopers Point & Philadelphia Ferry Company dissolved.
  • June 6, 1931 Glassboro & Bridgeton RPO reestablished. (Kay)
  • June 14, 1931 Last run of summer weekend excursion trains on Georgia Avenue Boardwalk spur at Atlantic City; all Philadelphia-Atlantic City excursion trains hereafter use main station at South Carolina Avenue. (Rdg)
  • Aug. 20, 1931 NJ PUC authorizes abandonment of line between Haddonfield and Medford.
  • Sep. 7, 1931 Atlantic City Limited, all first class weekend train between New York and Atlantic City makes last (northbound) run. (tt)
  • Sep. 26, 1931 PRR discontinues electric passenger service between Camden and Atlantic City and removes electrification between Newfield and Pleasantville. (probably also discontinues Pleasantville-Ocean City electric shuttle, which is operating as late as Nov. 9, 1930)
  • Sep. 27, 1931 The Sea Gull makes last run as separate all-first class train between Atlantic City and Pittsburgh; hereafter Atlantic City sleepers are handled on the Philadelphia Night Express and the Pittsburgh Night Express. (tt, A-sheet)
  • Nov. 2, 1931 Philadelphia, Marlton & Medford Branch abandoned except for a 0.21 mile stub in Haddonfield. (PRRTHS)
  • Dec. 11, 1931 New Jersey PUC issues report recommending consolidation of PRR and Reading lines in South Jersey. (Rept)
  • Jan. 26, 1932 New Jersey Gov. A. Harry Moore calls meeting for Feb. 3 to consider consolidation of PRR and Reading lines in South Jersey. (NYT)
  • May 7, 1932 Ground broken for Atlantic City grade crossing elimination and Union Station project. (NYT)
  • May 26, 1932 PRR signs agreement with City of Camden to remove tracks on 7th Street by July 1, 1933. (CE)
  • June 22, 1932 PRR Board authorizes retirement of electric line trestle at Camden.
  • June 25, 1932 PRR and Reading begin collection & delivery of LCL freight through Railway Express Agency in Camden-Atlantic City/Ocean City territory.
  • Sep. 24, 1932 Last run of The Sea Gull between Atlantic City and Pittsburgh; No. 35-36 reverts to Philadelphia Night Express/Pittsburgh Night Express. (tt)
  • Oct. 17, 1932 PRR restores rail service between Sea Isle Jct. and Stone Harbor, replacing bus service. (tt)
  • Oct. 31, 1932 PRR and Reading officials join Atlantic City Mayor Harry Bacharach in announcing plans for new Union Station. (NYT)
  • Nov. 23, 1932 PRR and Reading sign agreement consolidating South Jersey lines.
  • Jan. 16, 1933 Automatic cab signals replace automatic train control between Camden and Atlantic City, and between Delair and West Haddonfield.
  • Apr. 29, 1933 Last run of passenger service between Manumuskin and Maurice River, N.J. (tt)
  • June 10, 1933 PRSL abandons former West Jersey & Seashore line from point 2.5 miles east of Woodbine Jct. to Cape May, also 9.81 miles of WJ&S Ocean City Branch, WJ&S Stone Harbor Branch, and portion of WJ&S Wildwood Branch from Wildwood Jct. to Shellinger Avenue. (Val)

Back to the West Jersey and Seashore Railroad page


Back to the main page

Personal tools